Have you been hurt in an accident on the job? Do you know that you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses under South Carolina’s Worker’s Compensation insurance? Most employers are required to have Worker’ compensation insurance to cover their employees under South Carolina law. This insurance can help you pay for your medical costs, cover travel expenses to and from the doctor and to rehabilitation appointments, cover a percentage of your lost wages, and even pay for work retraining you might need. Are you having difficulty with a Worker’s Compensation claim? Is your employer telling you that you are not covered or was your claim denied? The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC is a Worker’s Compensation lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina who may be able to help you appeal a denied claim or make a claim if your employer fails to file a claim on your behalf. Here are five steps you can take after a workplace accident to protect your rights:
- Seek Medical Attention or Call for Emergency Help. If you have been seriously injured on the job, your first step should be to call the police to get emergency medical attention. You should always seek medical care for any injury you suffer on the job. However, according to the South Carolina Bar, your employer may have the right to select the doctor who will provide you with medical treatment. Always be sure to follow up with your doctor and follow any of your doctor’s instructions once you seek medical care.
- Report the Accident to Your Employer or Manager. Your employer can direct you to a list of medical professionals who can treat you under your employer’s Worker’s Compensation insurance. Your employer can also make a claim with Worker’s Compensation insurance. You have up to 90 days to tell your employer you have been injured on the job, but you should let your employer know right away. Sometimes injuries don’t become apparent until days or even weeks after an accident takes place. Some types of brain injury or back pain might not become apparent until some time has passed. The key is to report your injuries or new pain as soon as possible. Types of repetitive trauma injuries, like carpal tunnel or back pain injuries, must be reported within 90 days of the injury being discovered or diagnosed by a doctor.
- Gather Evidence of Your Accident. If you can, take photos of your injuries. Keep records of medical reports and any diagnosis you might receive. Ask for copies of any forms submitted to Worker’s Compensation. If your claim is denied, keep records of the reasoning for your claim’s denial. You may have the right to appeal a denied worker’s compensation claim.
- Follow Up With Your Employer to Make Sure that the Accident Has Been Reported to Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Your employer may have specific timeframes during which the injury must be claimed. If your employer is delaying your claim or is telling you that you are not covered under Worker’s Compensation, you may have the right to file the claim yourself. If you are not sure what next steps you should take, consider reaching out to the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC in Greenville, South Carolina. Our firm can review the details of your case and may be able to make a claim for you or appeal a denied claim.
- Contact a South Carolina Worker’s Compensation Lawyer. If your claim has been denied, delayed, or if the settlement that Worker’s Compensation is offering is not what you expected, you may want to speak to the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC in Greenville, South Carolina. Claims might be denied if Worker’s Compensation insurance claims that your injuries are the result of a pre-existing condition or if the injury was not reported within the allotted timeframe. The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC is a Worker’s Compensation law firm that can review the details of your accident, determine whether you might be covered under Worker’s Compensation, file a claim on your behalf, or appeal a denied claim. Should your claim go to a hearing, our Worker’s Compensation lawyers may be able to represent you and support your case.
The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC are Greenville, South Carolina Worker’s Compensation lawyers who may be able to assist you with your Worker’s Compensation claim if you have been hurt on the job. Take steps to protect your interests if you’ve been injured at work. You may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. Report your injury as soon as it is discovered. Contact the attorneys at the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC if you are having difficulty with your Worker’s Compensation claim.