Instructions for Filling Out Financial Declaration

  • Attach a recent paystub.

Figuring your gross monthly income: if you get paid on a weekly basis, multiply your weekly income by 52 and divide by 12 to get a monthly figure. If you get paid bi-weekly, multiply your current paystub figures by 26 then divide by 12 to get a monthly figure. If paid bi-monthly, multiply the figures by 24 and divide by 12.

In the alternative, take your year-to-date income and divide by the number of weeks since January 1. If you are close to the end of the month (for example, the end of August) you can get the last paystub for that period and divide by the number of months.

  • Income includes all income, including overtime and bonuses.

You may indicate these separately under Aother@ under section A INCOME (i.e., you can put your Abase@ income for 40 hours per week then your average monthly overtime under Aother@.)

  • Page 2 is self-explanatory. List your average monthly expenses.

This may include all expenses for children residing with you. Do not put down the annual amounts (i.e., 350.00/year for hazard insurance, etc.). Divide these out by 12 for the monthly amount.

If you are not sure what the balances are on debts, you may so indicate, but

guesstimate what they are (i.e., Sears, 1200(e) ). You cannot guesstimate at a final

hearing. You can only do this at a Temporary Hearing.


  • Assets. Do not guess as to the value of assets if you are in a contested¬†divorce/custody case. If you need to obtain the information, then so indicate instead of guessing. You cannot do this if it is a final hearing.

  • Financial Declarations do not need to be as exact if your case is a divorce on a one-year separation with no other issues; an agreement or any other Auncontested@ matter.

If your case is contested, please be as detailed and specific as possible.

  • You only need to fill out the gender columns relevant to you, i.e., husband or wife (or in paternity/custody cases, mother or father)

Expenses to Consider on Financial Declaration

Maintenance of Residence:

  • Fertilizer
  • Grass seed
  • Lawn service
  • Spring flower beds
  • Fall flower beds
  • Terminex
  • Pest control
  • Paint exterior ( every _____ years @ $600/yr.)
  • Paint interior (every _____ years @ $120/yr.)
  • Wallpaper
  • Air conditioning/service of heat/air
  • Replace roof ($4000 every 20 yrs.)
  • Appliance replacement ($1200 every 10 yrs.)
  • Shampoo carpets ($150/yr.)
  • Other (rugs, blinds, curtains, etc.)

Food and Household supplies:

  • Groceries
  • Paper products
  • Laundry products
  • Dish soap
  • Dishwasher soap
  • Batteries
  • Plastic bags (storage and garbage)
  • Aluminum foil
  • Cleaning products
  • Filters, etc.


  • Power
  • Wate
  • Garbage pick-up
  • Gas


  • Copays
  • Prescriptions
  • Bandaids/antiseptics
  • OTC sinus, allergy, pain

Dental not covered by insurance:

  • Floride treatments
  • Cleanings
  • Fillings

Insurance (not already deducted from paycheck)

  • Life
  • Disability


  • (for child)
  • Private school
  • Field trips
  • Class rings, etc.
  • Pictures
  • (for self): classes for re-certification, continuing education, etc.


  • Travel gas
  • Travel flights
  • Travel hotels
  • Travel entertainment (i.e. entrance fees)
  • Supplies for travel
  • Cable tv
  • Internet provider
  • Out to dinner/lunch
  • Zoo, museums, amusement parks

Auto Expenses:

  • Tires, every ____years, $400
  • Gas
  • Insurance/month
  • Routine maintenance
    • Oil change, $15 every 3 months
    • Transmission, $80/yr.
    • Alignment, $50/yr
    • Grease/brakes, $100/3 yrs.
    • Battery, $60/5 yrs.
  • Tax
  • Other repairs


  • Church tithe
  • Donations - $3700
  • Postage
  • Haircuts/perm/color
  • Christmas presents
    • Children/per year
    • Parents/per year
    • Siblings/per year
    • Other, Per year (teachers, mailman, etc.)
  • Flowers (funerals, birthdays, get well, etc.)
  • Magazine
  • Checks ($40/600 checks)
  • Birthdays
    • Children/yr
    • Parents/yr
    • Siblings/yr
    • Other/yr

If you need help filing a divorce, custody or child support claim, please contact Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys today.

Share To: