How Do I File a Worker’s Compensation Claim in Greenville, South Carolina?
If you’ve been injured on the job in Greenville, South Carolina, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. Workplace injuries can leave victims disabled, out of work, or facing weeks to months of long rehabilitative care. Families may struggle to make ends meet if a loved one is out of work. Fortunately, most workers who have been injured on the job are covered by worker’s compensation in Greenville, South Carolina. Worker’s compensation is a kind of employee insurance that employers are required to have to protect their workers should they become injured while they are on the job. This insurance covers workers for their medical costs, lost wages, and some other expenses related to their workplace injuries, such as travel costs and prescription drug costs. If you’ve been hurt at work, you most likely have the right to make a worker’s compensation claim. How do you make a claim? Here are a few things to consider:
- Report your injury to your employer. It is important that you report your injury as soon as possible. Failure to report a claim within the 90-day window could result in the loss or forfeiture of your benefits.
- File a claim within the two-year claim window. While you may only have 90 days to inform your employer about your injuries at work, victims and families have up to 2 years to make a worker’s compensation claim. Worker’s compensation claims can cover your medical costs, lost wages, and some other expenses. If your family member was killed on the job, dependents may also be entitled to make a claim within the two-year window. You are entitled to make the claim yourself if your employer refuses to do so.
- Fill out Form 50 or 52. In many cases, your employer will file a claim on your behalf. However, there are times where employers may delay in filing a claim or may refuse to file a claim. Sometimes employers might tell workers that they are not covered under worker’s compensation. According to the South Carolina Worker’s Compensation Commission, you may be entitled to file a claim on your own if your employer fails to report your accident, denies that you have been injured, or if you feel that you have not received all the benefits you might be entitled to get. The Hayes Law Firm are worker’s compensation lawyers in Greenville, South Carolina who may be able to help you file these forms if your employer or human resources department is refusing to file a claim.
- Understand what worker’s compensation covers. How do you know if you are receiving the benefits you deserve? Worker’s compensation covers surgery costs, hospitalization expenses, medical supplies, prosthetic devices, and prescriptions. You may also be entitled to receive 66 and two-thirds of your average weekly pay, not to exceed South Carolina’s average weekly pay.
- Ask your employer which doctors are in-network providers. To receive your full worker’s compensation medical benefits, you must visit the in-network doctors for your employer’s worker’s compensation coverage. Your employer should be able to provide you with a list of in-network physicians.
- Appeal your case if your employer fails to report your injury or fails to make a claim. You have a right to a hearing if your employer fails to make a claim or if your claim is denied. You also have a right to a hearing if you believe you are not receiving the full benefits for your injury. If you have questions about your worker’s compensation benefits or about the claims process, consider reaching out to the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC, worker’s compensation lawyers in Greenville, South Carolina.
Most worker’s compensation claims can be resolved through your employer without the need for legal action. But, if your employer is denying that you have the right to make a claim, is refusing to make a claim with worker’s compensation, or if your employer doesn’t have proper coverage, you may want to reach out to a Greenville, South Carolina worker’s compensation lawyer like the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC. Our firm can review the facts of your case, review your employer’s coverage, and fight to help you appeal or make a claim. If you have been seriously injured or if your loved one died on the job, you may also want to reach out to a qualified worker’s compensation attorney in Greenville, South Carolina. The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC can help.
Who is the Best Worker’s Comp Lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina?
The best worker’s compensation lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina is the attorney who will take the time to understand your unique circumstances and review your case thoroughly. The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC are Greenville, South Carolina worker’s comp lawyers who take worker’s rights seriously. Our firm understands the unique challenges that workers and their families face when individuals suffer injuries on the job. Our firm can help you and your family explore all avenues available to you. For example, if a third party was responsible for your injury, you may be entitled to seek damages outside of worker’s comp. If your claim has been denied, our firm can help you navigate the appeals process and stand beside you should you need to fight a denial at a hearing. The best worker’s comp lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina is a lawyer who will be a good match for your case. The Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC can offer you an honest assessment of your case and help you understand the roadmap forward.
Protecting Worker’s Rights in Greenville, South Carolina
Worker’s compensation is an essential aspect of worker’s rights and benefits in South Carolina. When employers fail to file claims, or discourage workers from filing claims, they hurt workers and their families. Employers might discourage workers from making a claim because they don’t want to pay more in premiums and they may not want to report an accident. Employers may try to take steps to prevent workers from filing. If you believe you are being intimidated against filing a worker’s compensation claim, fight back. Speak to the Hayes Law Firm Upstate Attorneys, LLC worker’s comp lawyers in Greenville, South Carolina today.